Home - Holt Ancestry History Wills Annals Sources


Map of Houses Ashworth Hall
Balderstone Hall
Bridge Hall
Castleton Hall
Gristlehurst Hall
Little Mitton Hall
Stubbylee Hall
Stubley Old Hall
Sudley House
The Holte

only search Holt Ancestry

Castleton Hall

This is a summary in date order of the information contained within the Victoria History of the County of Lancaster. It was published in 1906 and consists of eight volumes describing the inhabitants of the county which was taken from actual documentary evidence. References are to Volume 4 of History of Lancashire unless otherwise stated
Castleton Hall was built around the reign of Elizabeth and is an irregular shaped two storey stone building with the front facing east. In 1626 it was described as "a fair mansion house, being built with freestone" with adjoining " stables, ox house, and dove house, also gardens, orchards, and courts."(Fishwick, Rochdale in the beginning of the 17th Century) The south wing was pulled down in 1719.
Francis Holt constructed Castleton hall in 1515. The hall had beautiful gardens with a stream running in front of it and thickly wooded grounds. Henry VIII sold the Castleton estate in 1542 to Robert Holt of Stubley. This then became their chief residence. James Holt and his widow were the last Holts at Castleton in 1713. The Entwistle family inherited the house from Dorothy Holt, Robert Holts daughter, who married into the Entwistle family in 1649
Castleton Hall main staircase
  The Main Staircase
The great hall (26ft long and 17ft 3iin wide) formed part of the main entrance to the house. Some of the walls are oak panelled and in the upper lights of one of the windows were the arms for the Holt of Gristlehurst and Robert Holt of Castleton along with other shields showing their alliances. The upper rooms are accessed from the back of the hall up a small oak staircase with twisted balusters. The staircase is a fine example of early 18th Century Renaissance details having open twisted balusters and massive square carved newels.
One of the owners, Robert Holt, was a magistrate, deputy lieutenant for the county and in 1634 - 40 high sheriff.
The house was demolished in 1919.
Castleton Hall Castleton Hall
Castleton Hall by H C White
Back to Top

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Valid CSS!


Copyright © 2008. Victoria Holt. All rights reserved. Contact Us | Site Map | Accessability